Thursday, January 31, 2008

Dream of Being an Author

Writing has been one of my passions beside singing. In high school I wanted to be a school paper staffer. I failed to "audition" because I was busy singing with a band. With the inspiration given by our Literature teacher, Miss Josefina Nepomuceno, I started composing poems, mostly love poems.

After getting married and having a family, we moved to Molino, Bacoor, Cavite in 1988. I have become a secondary teacher after three years. I got bored being a Secretary at Dept. of Budget and Management. Having been a church layman when I was in the elementary, then a glee club member in high school, I found my way serving in the pastoral council in Aming Tahanan Village. Two years passed, I was invited to join the Pag-iribang Bicolnon cang Sto. Niño de Molino. The Association issued newsletter monthly. They needed someone to help them to continue publishing said material. It was a most-awaited opportunity - to find a venue for my long time dream.
We have published volumes of newsletter, I did the literary page mostly. Sometimes they would ask me write speech in Bicol dialect for the President who happens to be not so fluent with the dialect. When the the economic instability struck brought about by the Cory administration followed by FVR, members abandoned the association. Now, we have stopped the printing of newsletters, except for souvenir programs during the feast of Our Lady of Peñafrancia.

I venture into a new venue - writing technical reports related to instructional matters and managerial issues. I have been promoted to Head Teacher. When not observing classes, I busy myself with personalized certificates as reward for students who try to enhance their talent in English. Yet, I still feel this vacuum. I wish i could have finished my masteral thesis. I just thought it was necessary for my career so I didn't pursue it anymore.

What I really long is to write a book that will be read by many people. I have thought of convincing the Rotary Club of Imus that I write anectdotes of Cavite. Next June might be a lucky year for me when Mr. Albis, who owns a printing press becomes the new Rotary President. And from there I hope to make my dream a reality.

No comments: